2 Corinthians 5:1-5For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this tent we groan, longing to put on our heavenly dwelling, if indeed by putting it on we may not be found naked. For while we are still in this tent, we groan, being burdened—not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.
For all of our married years we have wrestled in our hearts over being home here in the metro area. We are both from central MN and we love the country. Our hearts understand the idea of home when we are in the country. I have many friends who love the city and have a passion for impacting change for Christ in urban America. Some have clear reasons for avoiding the suburbs in order to avoid the temptation of desiring to fill their lives with things, a constant rat race of keeping up with the Jones's. For me, city or suburb doesn't make much of a difference, it is all constant motion and busyness. There are comparisons and shockers in both places and for my own heart there is no quiet to reflect each day. It is the pace of life (in either city or suburb) that trips me up and causes a temptation for me to miss out on God altogether.
And so for 10 1/2 years in the Twin Cities, our hearts have longed for home - a quiet space in the country where we build meaningful relationships with neighbors and raise our family. A place where we could see the wonders of God's creation all around us.
This Easter weekend I realized that we were already home, even though it was not at all where I expected we would be. God has been transforming this vision and desire in my heart for home and at times it feels like leaving a dream behind in order to embrace God's precious gift for us. I have always imagined that by now we would have moved back to central MN and often our hearts have longed to be close to family there. Yet at the same time, I see God's very precious gifts to us here in the home He has established for us. I have watched as home has begun to mean less about a geographical location and more about the people that fill our lives and our children's lives.
This weekend I glanced around as we celebrated Easter weekend with a wonderful and supportive church family where our children are known and encouraged, where their unique disabilities and abilities are accepted and, for the most part, understood. Our children have a place there and they belong. We enjoy fellowship and encouragement from a large network of homeschooling and adoptive families in the metro who share in our journey alongside us. There are also the technical aspects of living here - a job for my husband makes staying in the area a good fit for us. Another technical aspect of our lives is medical care for our children with special needs. It took two years to find medical professionals that we agreed with and trusted, as well as to build a support system for families parenting children with special needs. We have just begun to learn and grow in so many areas.
After the Easter service this morning our children were so content with home and God's provision for them. This caused me to realize that being far from the country seemed okay for the first time in a long time because I could so clearly see God's provision for us here.
The children were so excited to go see their grandparents and my aunt and uncle for Easter dinner. Our time together was wonderful and yet, it is hard to have to say goodbye. Growing up, home was a multi-generational place and I miss having grandparents nearby. I am thankful that we can be together often to enjoy celebrations, feasts, and life with one another. And I am still learning to trust God in His perfect provision for us in every area, especially for our home and our family.
Today, this Easter Sunday, I am thankful to know that this Earth is not my home - city, suburb, or country - and our bodies are not our eternal dwelling. God has given us His Spirit as a guarantee and we wait on Him in trust and dependence.
No comments:
Post a Comment