Thursday, August 29, 2013

Hard Work

In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak 
and remember the words of our Lord Jesus how he himself said, 
"It is more blessed to give than to receive."
Acts 20:35

This is hard. Like the sinful toddler, my heart cries out, "mine, mine, all mine!"  I wear myself out, exhausted after straining over what was never meant to be mine.  I desire the praise of man.  I mistakenly think that my status in parenting should come with the "perks" of praise from my children. Weariness overcomes me when envy overtakes me, crowding out a dependent, humble, grateful spirit and leaving me feeling desperate and lost.  In my flesh I am tempted to desire praise and comfort and ease and avoid challenges.

Thankfully, Jesus gives us a better example - one of hard work, service, and selflessness.  He promises joy in following him in lowly service.  As the ultimate example, He prioritized giving over receiving to the point that He gave up His life in order that we may have eternal life.

Recently my high schoolers watched a clip from a sermon on joyful servant leadership as a part of their home school co-op leadership class.  In the sermon I was reminded how the world thinks happiness comes from being served, but that living life from that comfortable place on the couch doesn't bring true satisfaction and joy.   "You will find that the deepest joys in life are not when people are hailing you in your status, but when they are helped by you in your service...Going down low, and serving others and giving yourself to them, for their good - is the most deeply joyful, satisfying life."  What a sweet reminder that we have been shown this example of working hard in joyful service and that we can delight in Christ while living a life going low and giving yourself to others for their good.  Yes, it is a deeply joyful, satisfying life!  It is hard work.  And it is good work.

You can find the sermon For His Sake and for Your Joy, Go Low by clicking on the link.

  

No comments: